Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Let's Get Going

Getting Away and Getting to Peru:                jim on 11/29/15


It has been about two years since I've traveled overseas, the last time, and my last blog, was when I traveled to Nepal and taught conversational English in a Buddhist monastery there, I got home from that trip in mid January of 2014.  This time I'm headed in a different direction, South, to Peru, Ecuador and Columbia.  I've been busy with all kinds of projects over the last two years and it was time for me to break away again, get some rest and learn about another part of the world, where I have never gone before.  Whereas in Nepal I traveled alone, this time I have a group of friends who will be joining me for different parts of the trip and who, I hope, will join me in writing this blog.  I'll introduce them quickly here and then let them write what they want about themselves and their thoughts as they travel:

      David Huffling:  David is one of my housemates in Acworth, he has been living at the house for two years now and has become a good friend.  David was born in Peru, his mother died when he was only two months old and he was put up for adoption.  He was adopted by the Hufflings in Acworth's neighboring town of Alstead and has lived there and in Acworth since his adoption.  This will be his first trip back to Peru since he was born almost 35 years ago.  David will be arriving in Lima in a few days, Dec. 1.


Jerry Lieblich:  I know Jerry through my friendship with a Yale a capella group, the Society of Orpheus and Bacchus.  We met when he was still in school, became friends when he spent a summer with us in Acworth and have kept up our friendship through occasional visits, me to NYC where he has lived the past few years pursuing a career in writing for the theatre, and he to Acworth for a break from the city.  Jerry will be arriving just before Christmas.


Lizzie Fox:  I know Lizzie because of Jerry, they have been dating for a while now, I'm embarrassed that I don't know how long.  But regardless of how long it's been, it has been a pleasure.  She is a caring and gentle person who is a pleasure to be around.  She is a graduate of Williams College and is pursuing a career in acting in NYC.  Lizzie will also be arriving just before Christmas.



I'm sure many others will be introduced in this blog as we travel and make friends, but these are the only ones I knew about before I left the US a few days ago.  And leaving certainly wasn't easy.   Getting through my list of projects to finish before I left was a real challenge and finishing the list was probably a fiction, but I think I got most of it done, I'm sure I'll find out when I get back.  But the day finally came, Tuesday, Nov. 24; I got up early, 5:30 AM, to do my volunteer work, cooking breakfast in this case, at the Acworth Village Store, I snuck away around 9 AM and went back to the house to pick up our other housemate, Paul Weir, in order for us to drive together to the NY/NJ area, he to spend Thanksgiving with relatives and me to continue over to NYC to spend a few days,including Thanksgiving with my close friends (family really) Shannon, Jamie, Lillias and Beatrice.  It was great to have those days in the City with few responsibilities before I left and it was great to be able to celebrate Thanksgiving with friends and family before heading to Kennedy Airport for my 10:45 PM flight to Lima.  The flight was uneventful, always a good thing, and I even got a little sleep.  As much as I have traveled I still don't sleep well on planes.  It was scheduled to be an eight hour flight but, I think, we cut a little bit off of that, and it was straight south, which surprised me when I first realized it.  I always forget how far eastern South America sticks out into the Atlantic, enough to make the Peruvian west coast straight south of the US east coast.  Nature's little illusions.  


Dawn was breaking as the plane touched down in Lima and I was surprised as I looked out the plane window how dry the land surrounding the runway was.  I shouldn't have been surprised, I had read a few times that much of the Peruvian coast is desert or near desert, but somehow it had never sunk in.  Not many flights arrive early in the AM in Lima so our flight had the airport pretty much to ourselves which made all of the arrival activities go smoothly.  All that remained was to walk out of the security area to locate the cab that the Hostel I was staying at, the 1900 Backpacker Hostel, had promised to send for me. I asked for a pickup so I didn't have to fight with the hoards of taxi drivers wanting to overcharge me and take me to a place where they got a good commission.  As soon as I walked out I saw a guy with a sign with my name on it and the name of the hostel, it couldn't have been easier.  I know getting out of the airport sounds like a simple thing, but I have always believed that it is the hardest part of traveling, you are tired and a bit confused and then you have to negotiate a mob of people all wanting your attention.  It made me very contented to find my driver and start my trip to the hostel and to discovering Peru.

No comments:

Post a Comment